As per a report from Francesc Aguilar of Mundo Deportivo, Premier League outfit Tottenham have tabled a 20 million Euro offer for PSG outcast Adrien Rabiot.
Rabiot, a 23-year-old central midfielder, came up through the youth ranks of PSG, before eventually breaking into the first-team setup of the Ligue 1 champions in 2012, at the tender age of 17.
And the French international has since gone on to play an ever-increasingly prominent role for the capital outfit.
After seeing his game-time steadily rise every year since 2014, Rabiot enjoyed his finest season to date last time out, when he appeared in 33 of PSG’s 38 league outings, as well as starting in all 8 of the club’s Champions League fixtures.
Rabiot’s contract standoff
However, despite his crucial role in the midfield ranks at the Parc des Princes, Rabiot has nevertheless been heavily-linked with a potential departure for several years now.
The Frenchman has refused to commit to a contract extension with PSG, with his current deal in Paris set to expire this summer.
As such, he is currently free to sign a pre-contract agreement with another club.
Last summer saw Barcelona emerge as the side most persistently-touted as a potential destination for the Frenchman.
The Blaugrana were even said to have seen several bids for Rabiot knocked back by PSG:
— Gerard Romero (@gerardromero) August 28, 2018
In the end, though, the gifted midfielder stayed put, with the likes of AC Milan, Juventus, Liverpool and, most heavily, Tottenham, having since been named as sides also expressing a serious interest in his signature.
‘Wishes to leave the club’
And the speculation surrounding exactly where Rabiot is set to end up has only ramped up over recent weeks, after it was confirmed by PSG sporting director Antero Henrique that the 23-year-old had been banished to the stands following confirmation of his intention to depart the club:
PSG sporting director Antero Henrique: “Adrien Rabiot has told me that he will not sign a contract extension & that he wishes to leave the club at the end of the season, so once his current deal finishes. The consequences are very clear: he is indefinitely benched.” https://t.co/ELsNJuVwoa
— Jonathan Johnson (@Jon_LeGossip) December 17, 2018
As mentioned above, Tottenham and Barcelona have, to this point, been the two clubs most frequently-linked with a swoop for Rabiot.
However, the latter’s recent signing of Frenkie De Jong for the summer has since cast doubt over just how serious Barca actually are about securing Rabiot’s signature, with the likes of Sergio Busquets, Arthur, Ivan Rakitic, Arturo Vidal and Carles Alena already vying for a midfield starting berth at the Camp Nou.
— FC Barcelona (@FCBarcelona) January 23, 2019
Tottenham, on the other hand, are currently in dire need of reinforcements in the middle of the park, with Victor Wanyama having been sidelined since November with a knee problem, Moussa Sissoko also struggling with fitness of late, and Mousa Dembele having departed North London for China earlier this month.
And, as per the aforementioned report from Mundo Deportivo’s Francesc Aguilar, Spurs have today moved to rectify their midfield struggles courtesy of a formal offer for Adrien Rabiot.
The Premier League outfit are said to have tabled a 20 million Euro bid for the Frenchman.
Barcelona, meanwhile, appear to have dropped their interest in Rabiot:
El Tottenham ofrece 20 millones de euros al PSG por Adrien Rabiot. Con ese dinero, los parisinos quieren hacerse con los servicios de Idrissa Gueye (Everton) (Via The Sun). El PSG también ha reclutado ya al argentino Leandro Paredes (Zenit). El Barça parece olvidarse de Rabiot.
— Francesc Aguilar (@MDpor_elmundo) January 25, 2019
It is also worth nothing that ESPN reported just last month that Rabiot had labelled Spurs as ‘below’ a player of his talents, and that he has no intention of joining the capital outfit.
‘We have a space’
News of Tottenham’s bid for the PSG star, meanwhile, comes less than 24 hours after Mauricio Pochettino confirmed that the English giants are indeed on the hunt for midfield reinforcements.
As per Goal.com, the Argentine tactician revealed:
‘We are working. There are a few options. We will see if we are capable to deliver.’
‘Now, we have a space with Dembele gone.’